Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Linux Mint 7 - my first Linux experience

My MSI Wind U100+ came preinstalled with Windows XP, which I have been faithfully using for around 6 months, until two weeks ago when Borgy showed me screenshots of the Linux Mint 7. The Linux Mint 7 is based on the Ubuntu 9.04 and uses the GNOME desktop, which makes it easy to use for Linux beginners like me who are not familiar with Linux commands.

Image below is the Linux Mint 7 GNOME desktop:




These are the reasons why I've decided to switch to using Linux Mint 7:

1. The Menu. I instantly fell in love with the Menu because I like how the applications are grouped together. I could not get a screenshot of the menu, it wouldn't work (I don't know why), so I found some screenshots from other websites.


I got the screenshot above from http://www.linuxmint.com/img/screenshots/gloria/22.png


Mint Menu screenshot 2 from http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-linux-mint-7-gloria-p2


2. The Terminal and its Cowsay Fortune. The Terminal is the Windows command prompt counterpart of Linux. I like the animal ascii drawings with its quotes. I'll write in more detail on Cowsay in a separate entry. :)



3. The virtual desktop/ workspace. This is useful if you have many applications on the taskbar but don't want it cluttered on the current taskbar. It allows you to place applications on what seems like "another" desktop, but is actually the same one. I like the transition effect to the next desktop, made by Compiz, because it makes the desktop look 3D.

4. No virus on Linux! When I learned of this, I became convinced I wanted to use Linux. My netbook is always getting viruses and malware/ spyware, so every few days I always run my NOD32 anti-virus and Ad Aware.

5. There are applications that already come installed with the Linux Mint 7, which makes it easier to switch to a new OS. There is no Microsoft Office, but this is replaced with the free OpenOffice.org. Microsoft Office 2003 documents are compatible with the OpenOffice.org. Other applications include Java, GIMP image editor, Pidgin Instant Messenger, Rhythmbox Music Player, Firefox web browser, and many more.

I like the simplicity of the Linux Mint. I've tried the beta version of Windows 7 and it didn't really appeal to me. Sure it looks cool but I found it hard to navigate, especially the menu which just confused me. Function must rule over design.

I still retained my Windows XP in case I need to use programs that require Windows XP, like the Nokia Manager. Thanks to Borgy for installing Linux Mint 7 here on Rox (the name of my netbook). He installed it by "dual boot" with Windows XP, how he did it, I do not know. Thanks again! :)

7 comments:

Char Tan said...

I love the idea of no viruses! it's the only reason why i would switch from windows to another OS! I hate how much viruses can get passed windows!

Happy Ducky said...

Yeah being worry-free of viruses is...a good feeling! haha! You can also try using Mac OS, it's also virus-free. :)

borgy said...

Mac is expensive, while Linux is free! :D

Andrew said...

Mac is not Virus free, there are many viruses for Macs now. Most people just don't bother with Mac's though, honestly, because they stink. I love Windows and Linux. I don't know how you're getting 'lots of viruses' Harry Duck, but in my 10 years of using windows, i've never had even one virus...

Andrew said...

Happy Duck*

manny said...

awesome :)

anyone wanting to install it just go to linuxmint.com , bunch of people really helpfull

also youtube has tons of videos on this ^^

Anonymous said...

i see the cowterminal on startup but i dont know where to go from there. I have two different partitions of linux mint8 on my hd now and they both go to this screen without anything. What should i do? Thanks

Post a Comment