Monday, August 10, 2009

Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince movie

--spoiler alert!--

Last month, I watched Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and of all the Harry Potter movies ever made, this has got to be the most disappointing for me. From the past HP movies, I have already prepared myself not to set high expectations. What disappointed me was how the movie failed to show the importance behind Dumbledore's mission in his quest for the Horcruxes, which was crucial information that he passed on to Harry in book 6 that became key in his victory against Voldemort later on.

Instead of ranting my disappointment, I would like to recommend on how it could have been a better movie:

1. The main characters, especially Harry and Dumbledore, could show more emotions because I felt kind of detached from them. Surprisingly, the lesser characters in the movie that showed more depth were Draco Malfoy and Professor Slughorn. I am saying this because when Dumbledore died in the movie, I just didn't feel it.

2. Less emphasis on Malfoy's vanishing cabinet. There were too many scenes showing this to the point that it bored me, especially when Malfoy placed a bird in the cabinet to test if it worked. Not important!

3. The Ministry of Magic could have shown more presence. I understand why this can be omitted in the movie, but it could introduce that there was a new Minister of Magic (Rufus Scrimegeour). Since the Ministry played such a big part in the 5th movie, I just thought it should still show its presence in the 6th movie.

4. Provide more explanation on the Horcrux. Dumbledore should've explained the significance of the locket, that it was a Slyltherin heirloom. And that the diary in the second Harry Potter movie was a horcrux, along with other objects such as the ring that caused Dumbledore's hand to burn. The movie kept showing Dumbledore's burnt hand with the ring, yet it didn't explain how it happened.

On a positive side, I liked the cave scene at the ending. It was exactly how I imagined it would be like in the movie.

2 comments:

Char said...

I didn't love it either! I mean, the movie felt so disjointed! like there were 2 different movies going on at the same time. they could have made it more seamless. I still think Emma and Daniel are not strong actors. Rupert's still the best! But my favorite scene was when Harry and Hermione were both comforting each other after she attacks Ron with the birds! I thought that was a nice scene!

Happy Ducky said...

I mean, the movie felt so disjointed! - I feel exactly the same!

Yes I also like the scene between Harry and Hermione too! :)

Post a Comment