Friday, November 13, 2009

Zen netbook - Don't be fooled into buying this!

Shopwise recently had a promo wherein if you bought groceries costing at least Php 3,000, you would be eligible to purchase a ZEN netbook for only Php 5,000 (US$100). Here are the (fail) specifications of the netbook (if this should even be called a netbook!)


Screen: 7 inch (16:9)
Resolution rate: 800 x 400
CPU: ARM AK 7802 260 MHz 32-bit
Operation System: Win CE5.0
RAM Capacity: 128 MB
HD capacity: 2GB NAND Flash
Lane: 10/100M Ethernet Access
Wifi: 802.11b/g
USB port: USB 1.1 x 3.0
Compatible with SD card
Build-in stereo speaker
Support USB port mouse
Built-in battery: 2100MAH

My younger brother was given this portable computer as a birthday gift, so I was able to test it and take pictures. It is SUPER SLOW, and my dad proved this by finishing an entire cup of coffee while waiting for his Yahoo Mail to finish loading. The keys are very uncomfortable to type with, and makes a loud sound whenever you press a key. According to a Shopwise salesperson, 500 of these units were actually sold.


Its operating system, Windows CE5.0, is used in smart phones such as PDAs. I wanted to take screenshots, but I was unable to because the Print Screen button doesn't work.

This is obviously China-made, and what's also strange is that there is no website on this device. This is the reason why I'm blogging about it. Please, DO NOT BE FOOLED INTO BUYING THIS. Read the specs first on the box.

Fortunately, my brother was able to get a refund on this, and instead used his Php 5,000 for a more worthy device - an LCD monitor.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I bought 10 of this units for a web software testing, I bought them in China for around 90 USD, they are not the best thing i tried but... 90USD!!, you have what you paid, for my purpose it is perfect, I should have paid 300USD for a Intel ATOM netbook (3000 USD for 10 instead of the 900USD I paid.).

And about your comment "This is obviously China-made, and what's also strange is..." I must tell you that EVERY laptop, notebook, netbook you can use nowadays is China-Made, maybe it says DELL or HP or ACER or GATEWAY or even APPLE, but it is China-Made, and it is original.

Migraine Home Remedies said...

Thank you very much for the information!!!

Post a Comment