Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Using Joikuspot on my Nokia E71

As mentioned in my previous entry, JoikuSpot shares your phone's 3G internet connection over WiFi (WLAN) to laptops and other WiFi devices. I made use of Joikuspot during last Thursday’s power outage at home, and it proved very useful. Fortunately, I still had around an hour’s worth of battery power on my netbook, and with Joikuspot, I was able to use my phone provider’s (Sun Cellular) 3G HSDPA internet connection on my netbook! It’s fast enough for checking email and surfing. I only encountered a problem when using YM, I couldn’t sign-in. Nonetheless, it’s still great since Gtalk is available and there are web-based IMs such as Meebo if you want to really access Yahoo Messenger.

It’s very simple to set-up Joikuspot:
1. Download and install the Joikuspot software to your phone. You can get it at the Ovi Store.

2. Open the Joikuspot application on your phone. Choose “Yes” when it asks you to allow sharing your internet connection with external devices. Then choose your phone’s access point (in my case, it’s Sun INTERNET).

3. Joikuspot should now be running. Now, turn on your laptop or WiFi device you want to use for accessing the internet.

4. On your WiFi device, check for wireless networks available. Connect to Joikuspot when it appears. And you’re now connected!

Note: The rate for using Sun Internet is PHP 10.00 for 30 minutes, which can be used within a period of 2 hours (in case you disconnect and reconnect). I think this is the standard rate for mobile internet with other providers.

If your phone is capable of 3G internet, I suggest you try this if you have other WiFi devices. :D

3 comments:

Char said...

this is seriously cool and such a great alternative to buying those flashdisk wifi things!

Anonymous said...

I want to connect my laptop to the cellphone through usb cable, or bluetooth.
And then the cellphone will connect to the internet through wifi.

Is joikuspot able to do this?

Happy Ducky said...

@Anonymous - You don't need Joikuspot if you want to share your phone's 3G network via a usb cable/bluetooth. What you can do is use Nokia PC Suite once your phone is connected to your laptop, then set-up the modem connection. Joikuspot's purpose is turning your phone into a router that enables you to use the Internet via multiple devices. With the Nokia PC Suite method, your 3G internet is only shared with the laptop. It really depends on your purpose. :)

Post a Comment